Saving Energy with Appliances & Electronics
With energy costs today everyone is looking for ways to save. Electronics, and especially appliances, can consume a lot of energy. Even with appliances and electronics that consume a lot of energy there are still plenty of ways to cut costs, and save on energy bills. Further reducing energy is a great way to help the environment, both by wasting fewer resources, and producing less waste. The following resources show how you can save energy with different types of appliances, and electronics:
General Energy Saving Tips
- EnergyStar: EnergyStar is an US government initiative to help curb energy consumption, and educate consumers about which products help them save energy.
- EnergyQuest: EnergyQuest is a Canadian government organization dedicated to helping parents and teachers educate children about the need to save energy. They also provide a lot of information about alternative energy.
- EnergySavers: EnergySavers is a resource from the US Department of Energy aimed at teaching general ways to save energy, and educate consumers about energy options.
- Online Power Usage Calculator: The Consumers Power usage calculator, helps consumers identify which appliance are consuming the most energy, and ways to reduce their energy consumption.
- Federal Tax Credits For Energy Efficiency: A guide to tax savings; consumers are eligible for when they choose to conserve energy.
- Buying Energy Efficient Appliances: A how-to guide to energy-saving appliances from Living Greener.
- Air Conditioner SEER Value Table: The SEER value table is a way to determine the efficiency of your air conditioner based on age, and maintenance.
- Energy Efficient Homes – Air Conditioning: EDIS Air Conditioning Efficiency Fact Sheet helps consumers get started in reducing the cost of their air conditioner.
- Choosing an Efficient Air Conditioner: This set of tips, from EnergyRating, help consumers looking to purchase a new air condition determine which one is the most efficient, and suited to their needs.
- Air Conditioner SEER Value: Fact sheet from EESI explains how Air Conditioner SEER values are determined, and why they can help consumers reduce energy consumption.
- Energy Efficient Air Conditioning: Guide from NREL.gov explains many aspects of air conditioning, and how these affect the efficiency of air conditioners.
- Air Conditioner Operating Tips: Set of tips from the Energy Office of South Carolina, examines many ways consumers can reduce energy onsumed by their air conditioner.
- Energy Efficiency Ratios: A fact sheet about how to determine how energy-efficient window air conditioning units are.
- Dishwashers & Energy: Consumer tips for purchasing energy-efficient dish washing machines.
- Flex Your Power – Dishwashers: A guide to Energy efficient dishwashers, and upgrading your dishwasher.
- Dishwasher Energy Efficiency: A ‘Take Action’ guide to dishwasher energy savings from H2ouse.
- ‘How Efficient are Modern Dishwashers?’: A guide from the Florida Solar Energy Center examines how modern dishwashers have tried to become more efficient, and ways efficiency could still be improved.
- ‘How much energy do dryers use?’: An analysis of dryer energy consumption between different types of drying machines byLaundryList.org.
- Clothes Dryers: Energy conservation standards and testing procedures for clothes dryers.
- Evaluating Energy Usage: A guide for consumers to determine how much energy their dryer is consuming.
- Gas Dryer Fact Sheet: This analysis of gas dryers provides Energy Use tips for consumers who own, or plan to own, gas-drying machines.
- Energy Efficient Clothes Dryers: An overview of energy-saving clothing dryers from Federal Energy Incentives.
Humidifiers & Dehumidifiers
- Energy Savings Tips: Tips for saving energy when using humidifiers and dehumidifiers from the Town of Middleton, Massachusetts.
- How to Select a Humidifier: Tips for selecting energy-efficient humidifiers.
- Humidifier Usage and Maintenance: This guide from Home Energy Resource explains how to properly maintain humidifiers for efficient operation.
- Ways to Save: Vermont government publication examines ways to save on the cost of operating dehumidifiers.
- Using Dehumidifiers to Heat Your Home: A look at how you can save money using a dehumidifier rather than a heater to heat your home.
- Energy Efficient Microwaves: Ways to determine which microwave ovens are energy-efficient.
- Microwave vs. Conventional Ovens: Ways Microwaves represent energy savings over conventional ovens.
- Microwave Oven Savings Calculator: A calculator you can use to determine how much energy you can save simply by unplugging your Microwave.
- Understanding Microwaves: This resource from the FDA examines ways Microwaves save on energy consumption.
- Conserving Energy While Cooking: Simple tips to save both energy and money while operating your oven or stove.
- A Buyers Guide to Electric and Gas Cooking: A comparison of the energy usage of electric and gas cookers and ovens.
- Energy Saving Ovens: A look at energy-efficient ovens from the Clean Air Campaign.
- Solar Ovens: A guide to making an energy-saving solar-powered oven.
- Stove & Oven Energy Savings Tips: This guide from the Canadian Ministry of Energy shows ways to reduce the consumption of energy by ovens.
Printers & Computers
- How to Buy an Energy Efficient Computer: This guide shows different ways to buy energy-efficient printers, computers, and other office equipment.
- Computer Energy Usage Facts: A comparison of how much energy different computers and accessories consume power during different modes of operation.
- Energy Savings Guidelines for Personal Computers: Ways to reduce energy consumption by IT Equipment.
- Energy Saving Computer Equipment: This guide details how to save energy when operating existing computer equipment and also how to look for efficient equipment when purchasing new computers and accessories.
- Best Computer Practice: Examines many ways to save energy when operating computer equipment.
Refrigerator & Freezers
- Refrigerators & Freezers: Energy-saving practices for use when operating or purchasing refrigerators or freezers, from the Virginia Cooperative Extension.
- Refrigerator and Freezer Fact Sheet: Energy-saving tips from the Florida Energy Savings Consortium
- Energy Standards for Residential Refrigerators & Freezers: A guide to refrigerator and freezer efficiency from NYSERDA.
- How to Buy Energy Efficient Refrigerators: (PDF) A complete guide to purchasing new, energy-efficient, refrigerators from Energy.gov.
- DIY Super Efficient Refrigerators: Do-it-yourself tips for saving energy with your refrigerator or freezer.
Small Appliances & Electronics
- Appliance Choices: This guide shows ways to choose energy-efficient small appliances.
- Save Energy in the Kitchen: How to save energy when choosing small appliances.
- Energy Efficiency & Space Heaters: How to choose the right energy-efficient space heater to suit your needs.
- Efficient Home Electronics: This publication shows ways to choose energy-efficient small appliances, and ways to save while operating home electronics.
- Un-plug Your Mobile Phone Charger: How keeping mobile phone chargers plugged in wastes energy, from Change.org
- Efficient Clothes Washing: Energy-saving tips to keep in mind when purchasing a new washing machine, from ACEEE.org.
- Washing Machine Efficiency: Comparison by consumer reports helps consumers choose an efficient washing machine.
- Washing Machine Energy Usage: A guide to choosing an efficient Washing Machine from Resource Smart.
- Green Washers Buying Guide: Ways to choose an environmentally friendly, and energy-efficient washing machine.
- Energy Efficient Washing Machines: A guide to what washing machines actually save on energy usage from the National Energy Foundation.
Additional Appliance Parts